This page documents known problems, along with workarounds if available, for the system and apps. See also the functionality tables page and the bug reporting page if necessary.
- On DivestOS 19.1 and 20.0 the initial install of Mull will not have Internet access, go to its `App info` screen then `Mobile data & Wi-Fi` and enable `Allow network access`.
- Dark mode for websites is disabled due to resist fingerprinting. Please do not disable RFP.
- Refresh rate is capped to 60hz due to resist fingerprinting. Please do not disable RFP.
- If audio/video content fails to play in private tabs navigate to
browser.privatebrowsing.forceMediaMemoryCacheto false, this is however a privacy risk.
- Mull has strict certificate revocation checks. The CA revocation servers are frequently down/blocked/inaccessible and will result in a "Secure Connection Failed" error. Navigate to
security.OCSP.requireto false, this is however a security and privacy risk.
- Mull has strict certificate pinning. If you are using a proxy or VPN that does HTTPS manipulation you'll encounter a "Secure Connection Failed" error. Navigate to
security.cert_pinning.enforcement_levelfrom 2 to 1, this is however a security and privacy risk.
- Mull has stripped referrers. This often breaks loading of images on websites with hotlink protection. Navigate to
network.http.referer.XOriginPolicyfrom 2 to 1, this is however a privacy risk.
- Mull has WebAssembly disabled by default. This is often used for web apps. Navigate to
- Mull has WebGL disabled by default. This is often used for games and maps. Navigate to
webgl.disabledto false if needed, this is however a privacy risk.
- Mull has WebRTC disabled by default. This is often used for audio/video calls. Navigate to
media.peerconnection.enabledto true if needed, this is however a privacy risk.
- If the button to "Accept the risk & continue" doesn't work: navigate to
browser.ssl_override_behaviorfrom 1 to 2.
- If you want to access Onions using Mull and Orbot: navigate to
network.dns.blockDotOnionto false. Tor Browser for Android however should be preferred.
- Upstream issues: background timers, bookmark import/export, disable images, duplicate tab, FIDO, Fission, isolatedProcess, language issues, open .html file, RFP canvas exception, Sync broken by RFP, touch gestures
- F-Droid will not suggest updates for Mull if the version on the official F-Droid repo is older than the DivestOS repo. Enable "Unstable updates" in its Settings for faster updates.
- F-Droid will reset its database on the second start in many cases. [upstream]
- F-Droid will sometimes crash when downloading large apps. [upstream]
- To use gmail.com with FairEmail you must use an App Password.
- Silence will crash if first started without a SIM-card inserted. [upstream]
- Simple Gallery will fail to render images on select older devices. Disable 'deep zooming' in its settings to workaround. [hardware limitations]
- Changing device identifiers like the IMEI is NOT supported.
- Encryption cannot be disabled.
- eSIMs are not supported.
- Fonts cannot be easily added to the system.
- Google Apps or microG or Sandboxed Play Services are NOT supported.
- Other WebView providers such as Bromite are not currently supported. They were briefly supported in the past but caused boot issues on 15.1 for unknown reasons.
- Remote desktop host apps like AnyDesk and TeamViewer are not supported. They rely on special system permissions enabled by vendors signing helper apps on their behalf.
- Root is NOT supported.
- SELinux is always enforcing and cannot be set permissive or disabled.
- Signature spoofing is NOT supported.
- Torrents will not be offered for downloads/updates. They don't work well on mobile and they leak IP addresses of users.
- 16.0 and higher will warn when running an app that is not targeting Android 9.0 API for the first time.
- 17.1 and higher will warn when running a 32-bit app for the first time on a 64-bit device. Sometimes this warning is not accurate.
- Compiling is non-trivial and has many undocumented steps.
- Devices using 'encryptable=footer' in their fstab will not be encrypted by default. These devices typically are unable to be encrypted on the very first boot.
- If your device is not detected by your computer use a USB 2.0 port. If you don't have any USB 2.0 ports use a USB 2.0 hub. If that still doesn't work try another cable.
- IMS/VoLTE may or may not work. [upstream? deblobber? carrier?]
- Incremental updates will often fail to successfully apply on non update-engine devices. [releasetools]
- It is strongly recommended to leave OEM unlocked enabled to allow for recovery if unbootable and locked.
- Sensors Off toggle on 17.1/18.1 also turns off the camera and microphone.
- 'Storage Manager' is non-functional in some cases.
- The ADB toggle in developer options has absolutely zero effect on whether or not you can use ADB in recovery.
- The default password for Android encryption is `defaultpassword`.
- The DivestOS recovery is automatically installed on supported devices each successful boot. If you externally change it, you must not boot the system to use it.
- The 'enable native code debugging'/ptrace_scope toggle does nothing on devices without stacked YAMA, ie. kernels before 3.10.
- The Updater may not show very recent updates due to the server's 2 hour cache.
- The Updater will show the currently installed update, this is expected.
- When sideloading a final percent of 90-94% is expected and not signs of failure.
- You can quickly access the default keyboard settings by long pressing on the comma key.
- Block encrypted devices will fail to shutdown from secure boot screen on 18.1. Force power off via power button to workaround.
- Bluetooth phone calls may not work.
- Devices with less than 2GB of RAM *will* likely out-of-memory more often than usual. [various]
- Disabling Storage Manager is strongly recommended, it may choose to delete your old files after 90 days otherwise.
- Fingerprint readers may work inconsistently, this is usually not actually caused by DivestOS.
- If `fastboot update` fails on identifying device you can try the force option, otherwise extract the zip and `fastboot flash` each partition manually.
- If Seedvault is set to backup to a USB flash drive and it is later plugged in, the automatically started backup may fail. If so, you must invoke the backup manually. [upstream]
- If you have banking or game apps that do not work, ensure the `Enable native code debugging` toggle is enabled in Settings > Security. Such apps use ptrace as a form of crude anti-tamper mechanism.
- MediaProvider error toast on some boots of <=16.0. [permission issue?][tracking]
- Most devices may take up to the full 12.5 minutes to acquire a GPS lock. Locks will often be quicker, especially if recently locked. Please test using GPSTest app with *clear* and *direct* line of sky. [deblobber][link]
- Mull is not installed by default, only an empty shim/placeholder is. F-Droid will prompt you to "update" it on first run which will install it.
- Phone call audio is distorted sometimes until speaker phone is toggled. [deblobber?]
- Recovery will not be updated on each boot on 14.1. [upstream]
- Search in Trebuchet when a work profile is available may cause the view to wrongly switch.
- The OLED screen protection mechanism may push the clock off the screen for a minute every now and then.
- The changelog link in the Updater links to the LineageOS changelog for your device. However devices Lineage no longer compiles for don't have such a page.
- The secondary user logout button on the lockscreen will overlap the unlock icon on some devices.
- Trebuchet, the launcher, on older versions will randomly enter a half-broken state where you cannot long press any apps. Force stop Trebuchet from Settings or reboot to fix.
- TWRP (which isn't supported) often cannot decrypt/unlock /data due to it being incompatible/outdated.
- Updater JSON parsing error on 14.1. [upstream?][tracking]
- `Wallpapers & Styles` may crash after upgrading to 20.0 from 19.1, clear it's app data to fix.
- `Wallpapers & Styles` may not show homescreen icon previews if grid size is greater than 5x5.
- `Wallpapers & Styles` will not show wallpaper previews if not granted `Music and audio` permission in addition to `Photos and videos` on 20.0.
- When `Private DNS` is enabled for the system, Chromium based browsers will automatically handle DNS themself bypassing the /etc/hosts based blocking function. Disable `Secure DNS` to work around.
- When `Private DNS` is disabled for the system, using anything in the VPN slot will likely bypass the /etc/hosts based blocking function. Read here for more information.
- Flutter-based apps may show graphical artifacting on older (msm8974 era) devices.
- Older Unity engine games will likely crash on 16.0+ due to the hardened memory allocator. A workaround is to install the 32-bit variant of the app. [Unity engine bug][tracking]
- Select older devices running 17.1/10 or higher will fail to connect to 802.11w (optional/required) enabled Wi-Fi networks due to lack of PMF support. [hardware]
- Special permissions of apps may be randomly reset after reboots on 19.1 and higher. This is an unknown and widespread issue affecting many other operating systems. [upstream]
'Developer options' will crash on 15.1 due to null PDB handle. Likely fixed in late 2022-02 builds Fenix based browsers such as a 'Mull' or 'Fennec F-Droid' might cause a reboot on launch. Please report your device if it does to be fixed.
Devices listed as "Tested/Reported Working" on Downloads page will not be listed here if they are fully working as expected and do not have any quirks.
- Encryption is not supported. [upstream blobs]
- (confirmed report) Camera is non-functional. [kernel]
- Camera is very slow to start and sometimes won't start at all. [upstream]
- Camera can be very slow to take pictures at higher resoutions. [???]
- Sensors will not work unless you have a hybrid v220k modem which requires an a10b bootloader. [firmware]
- (reported) Will bootloop if a pin/password/pattern is not set or is unset. [???]
- Do NOT attempt to lock the bootloader if
fastboot flashing get_unlock_abilityreturns zero or else it will brick. EDL access is not available on this device and you will have to send it in for service. [upstream][forum thread]
- Wi-Fi tethering may not work. [???]
- Bluetooth likely won't start due to missing MAC address. [hwaddrs selinux? /misc corrupt?]
- Device will often fail on reboot and become unresponsive, requiring the battery to be pulled. [hardware]
- Bluetooth likely won't start due to missing MAC address. [hwaddrs selinux? /misc corrupt?]
- (unconfirmed) NFC doesn't work. [???]
- (unconfirmed) GPS doesn't work. [???]
- (unconfirmed) Torch doesn't work. [???]
- FM radio causes reboot on headphone plug/unplug, app can be disabled as workaround. [???]
- On select devices Wi-Fi may be very broken. [hardware?][upstream tracking]
- (reported) Having fingerprints registered can cause the sensor to trigger at random causing the screen to flicker green. [???]
- Second SIM non-functional. [disabled, some variants lack the necessary firmware]
- Device powers off after sleeping for an unknown time. [???]
- Camera is non-functional. [upstream kernel]
- Device is extremely slow. [hardware?]
- Relocking bootloader with an AOSP/Lineage/DivestOS recovery flashed will result in a *permanent hard brick* unless you have acquired your NvFlash recovery token! [bootloader][guide]
- 15.1: Wi-Fi tethering doesn't work. [???]
- 16.0: Camera, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi tethering doesn't work. [???]
- (reported) bootloops. [???][report]
- No web browsers open at all. [kernel? memory?]
- USB MTP is likely not functioning. [SELinux?]
- NFC is likely not functioning. [SELinux?]
- (reported) SIM card detection issues. Likely fixed in 2021-06 build. [SELinux][report]
- Recovery doesn't update on system update due to missing install-recovery.sh. [upstream][repro script]
- SD cards might fail to mount or format. [vold + selinux?]
- USB ADB only works when MTP mode isn't set. [FunctionFS corruption?]
- Screen artifacting when using video camera. [???]
- Not encrypted by default. [OMAP SMC limitation]
- Camera unavailable until reboot occasionally. [ducati cma issues?]
- /system needs to be resized to fit 17.1 or higher. [too small partition]
- Will fail to boot on first boot. Force off once after 3 minutes. Likely fixed in 2022-01 builds. [modem subsystem service startup failure with forceencrypt]
- Images will often fail to install via recovery. [fstab /vendor/firmware_mnt]
- Speaker phone volume cannot be changed from maximum.
- Camera is non-functional. [upstream blobs?]
- Encryption is not supported. [upstream device tree?]
- GPS is non-functional. [deblobber]
- (reported) APN persistence issues. [???]
- (reported) SIM detection issues. [???][upstream]
- Uses the stock /vendor partition, making many of the deblobber benefits unavailable. [upstream]