DivestOS is a full-time passion project (not a company) maintained solely by Tad (SkewedZeppelin) since 2014. It has many goals, but primarily: prolonging the life-span of discontinued devices, enhancing user privacy, and providing a modest increase of security where/when possible. The devices DivestOS supports are not fully free (as-in-freedom) and there are many security issues we cannot solve such as insecure proprietary blobs, insecure firmware, insecure bootloaders, and insecure ancient kernels. We are also fully aware of our "off-the-rails" approach, however mostly attribute it to the sheer effectiveness provided by "80%" solutions instead of mulling around and not doing anything. We genuinely believe that what DivestOS offers is something unlike any other project, especially with regards to the project scope and our persistence. We hope you find some benefit in our fruits, and remind you to have fun!
Please consider contributing in the form of testing, promoting, bug reports, code review, merge requests, translations, mirrors, and financially to ensure the project's longevity.
- All donation options here
- Recurring: via Liberapay
- BTC: bc1qkjtp2k7cc4kuv8k9wjdlxkeuqczenrpv5mwasl
- Monero: 41hwY8KL7ZW4LockC5ZzoR52LdVAoV2VjewGaXay8NRNFsxWwx2a1FCb1Q3HyzSBrvTbkg941hrkkK3d7EagF99MSD9iYHH
Attributions and Credits¶
The following do not necessarily have any direct involvement in DivestOS.
If you would like to be added or removed please create an issue on either the GitHub or GitLab website repository.
Information to financially support the below projects/people is also listed.
If you are listed below without your donation information, you are encouraged to reach out so it can be added! :)
- Dotsrc.org - donate - mirror status - since 2023/10/14
- Academic Computer Club in Umeå, Sweden (ACC) - donate - mirror status - since 2023/10/17
- Oregon State University Open Source Lab - donate - since 2023/10/18
Git Forge Hosting¶
- Google and the Android Open Source Project
- LineageOS (and contributors) - Donate: Patreon, PayPal
- GrapheneOS / AndroidHardening - Donate: All options
- Code Aurora Forum
- CalyxOS - Donate: Calyx Institute
- Michael Bestas (mkbestas) - latest branch (currently 20.0)
- Kevin Haggerty (haggertk) - supported non-latest branches (currently 18.1 and 19.1)
- Alexander Grund (flamefire89) - 17.1 - Donate: GitHub Sponsors
- Markus (MSe1969) - 16.0
- syphyr - 14.1
- Vasyl Gello (vasek.gello) - previously 14.1
- Tim Schumacher (timschumi) - previously 11.0
- Wolf-Dieter Enders (grzwolf) - previously 11.0
- Red Hat
- Debian Kernel Team - Donate: All options
- Ubuntu Security Team
- Civil Infrastructure Platform
- Project Zero
- Kevin Haggerty (haggertk)
- Corinna Vinschen (cygwin) - Donate: PayPal
- Nathan Chancellor (nathanchance)
- F-Droid (and community) - Donate: All options
- Andrew Nayenko (relan) - base for Mull-Fenix - Donate: Liberapay
- GrapheneOS Camera
- Peter Cai (PeterCxy) - OpenEUICC - Donate: Patreon
- Tibor Kaputa - Gallery - Donate: All options
- Steve Soltys - SeedVault
- arkenfox user.js (Thorin-Oakenpants) - used by Mull and Brace
- Mozilla Foundation - Donate: All options
- uazo - extra patches for Mulch
Previously Included Apps¶
- microG/UnifeidNlp (mar-v-in) - Donate: Liberapay / GitHub Sponsors
- Silence - Donate: 1LoKZXg3bx6kfwAhEFQqS9pgeCE1CFMEJb (BTC) / Liberapay
- Mark Harman - Open Camera
- Vanilla Music - Donate: 1adrianERDJusC4c8whyT81zAuiENEqub (BTC)
- Marcel Bokhorst - FairEmail - Donate: GitHub Sponsors, All options
- Tod Fitch - Déjà Vu NLP Backends
- Dominik Schürmann
- Carl - extra patches for Mulch - Donate: All options
- Markus (MSe1969) - various
- steadfasterX - various
- polkaulfield - hlte addition
- Alberto García (GarciaLnk) - davinci work
- R Raj (accountForIssues) - GMapsWV open from support
- godbless96 - IR Remote improvements and fixes
- woheller69 - many improvements to GMapsWV - Donate: PayPal
- Roman Luitko - additional remotes for IR Remote
- Biswapriyo Nath - improvements, tweaks, and additional remotes for IR Remote
- ElCorzo - Dockerfile for compilation
- be-neth - signature spoofing - never included
- Device Overclocks: anarkia1976, Andrew Miyaguchi (XDleader555), bhb27, Dan Sneddon (dsneddon), Evisceration, Felipe de Leon (fglfgl27), flar2 (asegaert), Francisco Franco (franciscofranco), hellsgod, Mathieu Maret (mmaret), nguyenquangduc2000, nikhil18, Omar Einea (eineao), Paul Reioux (reioux), savoca, Stratos Karafotis, Tectas, WedyDQ10, XileForce
- Petra Mirelli (iNtEgraIR2021)
- ChinoGoblino - fixing Mull monochrome icon
- Geran de Klerk - Tad's old profile picture
- Maurice Geßwein (zerpixelung) - homepage splash
- Victor Stuber - old homepage splash
- Pawel Czerwinski - default wallpaper - Donate: PayPal
- Paul Green - Mulch feature graphic backdrop
- W1nst0n - Favicon SVG Conversion
- Wallpapers: Adam Kool, Alex Holzreiter, Anton Repponen, Anton Sharov, Dan Carlson, Jakub Gorajek, Joshua Sortino, Luca Bravo, Nathan Anderson, Omendra Singh, Riccardo Chiarini, Sam Ferrara, Sean Afnan, Wil Stewart, Unsplash
- Dante (dantecpu)
- Dimitris Vagiakakos
- Tommaso Fonda
- Michael Moroni
- Jean-Luc Tibaux
- Petra Mirelli (iNtEgraIR2021)
- Oswald van Ginkel
- Marcin Mikołajczak
- Diego Sanguinetti
- mini.css - website CSS - Donate: GitHub Sponsors
- Pagefind - website search
- Erfan Abdi, filipepferraz, and Lanchon - copy partitions script
- b3pio - Pixel 2 XL device donation
- fossdd - app suggestions
- Samy Lahfa - various tweaks
- Patryk Miś - app maintenance
- danielk43 - patch maintenance
- zynpachi - tweaks
- fossys - device testing
- mjk - messenger comparisons work
- *IM* - messenger comparisons work
- Michel Le Bihan (mimi89999)
- nvllsvm - freecyngn
- p4block - AOSP pkgbuild
- Simon Brand
- Animista - website animations
- Stack Exchange Network
- Android is a trademark of Google LLC.
- CIP / Civil Infrastructure Platform is a trademark of The Linux Foundatsion.
- CVE / Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures is a trademark of The MITRE Corporation.
- ClamAV is a trademark of Cisco.
- GrapheneOS is a trademark of the GrapheneOS Project.
- LineageOS is a trademark of LineageOS LLC.
- Linux is a trademark of Linus Torvalds.
- Mozilla Firefox is a trademark of The Mozilla Foundation.
- Tor is a trademark of The Tor Project, Inc.
- Divested Computing Group and its projects are not affiliated with Cisco, Google, GrapheneOS, LineageOS, Linus Torvalds, Mozilla, the Android Open Source Project, The Civil Infrastructure Platform, The Linux Foundation, The MITRE Corporation, or The Tor Project.
- DivestOS is not sponsored or endorsed by Google, the Android Open Source Project, LineageOS, or GrapheneOS.
- GMaps WV is not sponsored or endorsed by Google.
- Hypatia is not sponsored or endorsed by Cisco.
- Mulch is not sponsored or endorsed by Google.
- Mull is not sponsored or endorsed by Mozilla.
- The DivestOS checker/patcher program and corresponding database is not sponsored or endorsed by Linus Torvalds, The Civil Infrastructure Platform, The Linux Foundation, or The MITRE Corporation.
- AOSP source code is available here.
- CIP source code is available here.
- Chromium source code is available here.
- Firefox source code is available here.
- GrapheneOS source code is available here.
- LineageOS source code is available here.
- Linux source code is available here.
- The CVE list is available here.
- All product names, logos, and brands are property of their respective owners. Use of these names, logos, and brands does not imply sponsorship or endorsement.
Effective July 29th 2021 all contributions to DivestOS and related projects must be signed-off as per the DCO:
Developer Certificate of OriginVersion 1.1 Copyright (C) 2004, 2006 The Linux Foundation and its contributors. Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies of this license document, but changing it is not allowed. Developer's Certificate of Origin 1.1 By making a contribution to this project, I certify that: (a) The contribution was created in whole or in part by me and I have the right to submit it under the open source license indicated in the file; or (b) The contribution is based upon previous work that, to the best of my knowledge, is covered under an appropriate open source license and I have the right under that license to submit that work with modifications, whether created in whole or in part by me, under the same open source license (unless I am permitted to submit under a different license), as indicated in the file; or (c) The contribution was provided directly to me by some other person who certified (a), (b) or (c) and I have not modified it. (d) I understand and agree that this project and the contribution are public and that a record of the contribution (including all personal information I submit with it, including my sign-off) is maintained indefinitely and may be redistributed consistent with this project or the open source license(s) involved.
Our Contributions Back¶
- Option to enable Save-Data HTTP header: FOSS Browser, Lightning, Klar (WIP)
- Reduced APK size: DejaVu, Offline Calendar, Simple Solitaire, Net Monitor (pending), NominatimGeocoder (pending)
- Switched OpenWeatherMap API URLs to HTTPS: Forecastie, FOSS Weather, Privacy Friendly Weather, Weather Widget, World Weather, Your Local Weather, Simple Weather (declined), Easy Weather (pending), Good Weather (pending), Veterondo (pending), WiseRadar (pending)
- Conversations: Tor A/V Reminder (pending), Restart Orbot Snackbar (WIP)
- DNS66: Support loading settings from /system (pending rewrite)
- Fennec F-Droid: misc. fixes
- F-Droid Metadata: various
- GrapheneOS: Camera workaround for OnePlus 6 series
- KISS Launcher: Memory leak fix
- LineageOS: m8 RIL fix, jf* script fix, yellowstone compile fix, extract-utils script fix, mata usb fix, mako sepolicy breakage fix
- Mozilla Firefox: Initial patches to fix building without Google Play Services
- Orbot: Exposed IsolateDestAddr, ConnectionPadding, IPv6, CircuitPadding, and more country (declined) options
- Privacy Browser: (upstream declined) Added Tor support, DNT support, extra search engines, and extra user agents. Patches here
- Privacy Friendly Weather: Fix Celsius to Fahrenheit conversion
- RadioDroid: Switched API requests to HTTPS, Added an option to not download station icons, and Split proprietary Google Play Service libraries into its own flavor
- RedReader: Added Tor support and clearing WebView cookies
- SuperTuxKart: Use a lower internal rendering resolution (broken)
- Tutanota: Set FLAG_SECURE (PoC)
- CIP Kernel CVE Tracker: Added AOSP branches
- Firejail: Profile for OS compilation
- CVE patcher integration: links here
- Briar: System default theme, IPv6-only
- CalyxOS: no IMSI to SUPL
- Cheeseburger build guide: Signing help
- GrapheneOS: blob removal, no IMSI to SUPL
- LeOS-GSI: impetus to release sources
- LineageOS: impetus to merge, pointing out oneplus5 compile fix, pointing out recovery sideload cache issue
- Magisk DRM Disabler: Related work on the removal of proprietary blobs
- postmarketOS: blob removal
- Replicant: Related work for the removal of the proprietary AmbientSDK blob email and resulting commit
- Universal Android Debloater: blob corrections
Work that we never attempted to upstream: