Below is version information for branches and devices for you to judge your device's security upon.
A note on operating system security¶
There are five parts that you can use to determine the general security of a operating system:
- the version of Android itself, newer versions have more security features/hardening
- the ASB patch level, these are essential security patches
- the Pixel ASB patch level, these are recommended security patches
- the vendor ASB patch level, see Qualcomm
- and lastly the Linux kernel version
- GrapheneOS, with the exception of the Pixel 3, strictly only supports devices that have all parts updated.
- CalyxOS, with the exception of the Pixel 3 and other non-Pixel devices, only supports devices that have all parts updated.
- LineageOS can help with 1, 2, 3, and usually 5, but if a device is out of support by its manufacturer it cannot help with 4.
- DivestOS, being Lineage based helps with 1, 2, 3, can minimize 4 via the deblobber, and improve 5 significantly using the CVE auto-patcher.
- LineageOS (and derivatives) notably only apply Pixel ASB's to the most recent branch.
- Any of the above operating systems will be a dramatic improvement for any device that is no longer receiving support from its manufacturer.
- Replicant 6.0 is based on the LineageOS-13.0 branch and is behind on all parts.
A historical comparison of operating system patch levels is available here, along with patch counts documented here.
Last updated: 2022-08-13
Asterisk* denotes known missing patches
|Version||End of Life||Android Security Bulletin||Pixel Security Bulletin|
|19.1 / 12.1 ★||~2025||LOS: 2022-08, DOS: 2022-08||LOS: 2022-07, DOS: 2022-07|
|18.1 / 11.0||Late ~2023||LOS: 2022-08, DOS: 2022-08||2021-10, 314 days ago|
|17.1 / 10.0||Late ~2022||LOS: 2022-08, DOS: 2022-08||2020-08, 740 days ago|
|16.0 / 9.0||2022-01, 226 days ago||LOS: 2022-01, DOS: 2022-08*||2019-08, 1106 days ago|
|15.1 / 8.1.0||2021-10, 314 days ago||LOS: 2021-10, DOS: 2022-08*||2018-12, 1349 days ago|
|14.1 / 7.1.2||2019-10, 1045 days ago||LOS: 2021-06, DOS: 2022-08*||2017-12, 1714 days ago|
Linux Version Status¶
Last updated: 2022-08-08
|Version||Last||End of Life|
|4.4||4.4.302||2022-02-03 + 2027-01 (CIP), 193 days ago|
|3.18||3.18.140||2019-05-16 + 2021-10 (Google/Linaro), 314 days ago|
|3.10||3.10.108||2017-11-04, 1745 days ago|
|3.4||3.4.113||2016-10-26, 2119 days ago|
|3.0||3.0.101||2013-10-22, 3219 days ago|
Last updated: 2022-08-08