A list of what doesn't work on DivestOS
Devices listed as "Tested/Reported Working" on Downloads page will not be listed here if they are fully working as expected and do not have any quirks.
'Developer options' will crash on 15.1 due to null PDB handle. Likely fixed in late 2022-02 builds
- Devices using 'encryptable=footer' in their fstab will not be encrypted by default. These devices typically are unable to be encrypted on the very first boot.
- Devices with less than 2GB of RAM *will* likely out-of-memory more often than usual. [various]
Fenix based browsers such as a 'Mull' or 'Fennec F-Droid' might cause a reboot on launch. Please report your device if it does to be fixed.
- IMS/VoLTE may or may not work. [upstream? deblobber?]
- Incremental updates will often fail to successfully apply on non update-engine devices. [releasetools]
- MediaProvider error toast on some boots. [permission issue?][tracking]
- Most devices will take longer to acquire a GPS lock. Please test using GPSTest app with *clear* and *direct* line of sky. [deblobber][link]
- Phone call audio is distored sometimes until speaker phone is toggled. [deblobber?]
- Recovery will not be updated on each boot on 14.1. [upstream]
- Select older devices running 17.1/10 or higher will fail to connect to 802.11w optional enabled Wi-Fi networks due to lack of PMF support. [hardware]
- Silence will crash if first started without a SIM-card inserted. [upstream]
- 'Storage Manager' is non-functional in some cases.
- Older Unity based games will likely crash on 16.0+ due to the hardened memory allocator. A workaround is to install the 32-bit variant of the app. [Unity engine bug][tracking]
- When `Private DNS` is enabled for the system, Chromium based browsers will automatically handle DNS themself bypassing the /etc/hosts based blocking function. Disable `Secure DNS` to work around.
- Updater JSON parsing error on 14.1. [upstream?][tracking]
- Simple Gallery will fail to render images on select older devices. Disable 'deep zooming' in its settings to workaround.
- Block encrypted devices will fail to shutdown from secure boot screen on 18.1. Force power off via power button to workaround.
- Bluetooth phone calls may not work.
- Fingerprint readers may work inconsistently.
- Encryption is not supported. [upstream blobs]
- (confirmed report) Camera is non-functional. [kernel]
- Camera is very slow to start and sometimes won't start at all. [upstream]
- Sensors will not work unless you have a hybrid v220k modem which requires an a10b bootloader. [firmware]
- Bluetooth likely won't start due to missing MAC address. [hwaddrs selinux? /misc corrupt?]
- Device will often fail on reboot and become unresponsive, requiring the battery to be pulled. [hardware]
- NFC doesn't work. [???]
- GPS doesn't work. [???]
- Torch doesn't work. [???]
- FM radio causes reboot on headphone plug event, app can be disabled as workaround. [???]
- 18.1 ONLY: Uses the stock /vendor partition, making many of the deblobber benefits unavailable.
- Builds before 2021/09/02 on the 11.0 bootloader/firmware will enter CrashDump mode. Hold volume up + power to exit and then use fastboot to flash a newer build. [firmware][upstream fix]
- Second SIM non-functional. [disabled, some variants lack the necessary firmware]
- Device powers off after sleeping for an unknown time. [???]
- Camera is non-functional. [upstream kernel]
- Device is extremely slow. [hardware?]
- Relocking bootloader with an AOSP/Lineage/DivestOS recovery flashed will result in a *permanent hard brick* unless you have acquired your NvFlash recovery token! [bootloader][guide]
- (reported) bootloops. [???][report]
- USB MTP is likely not functioning. [SELinux?]
- NFC is likely not functioning. [SELinux?]
- (reported) SIM card detection issues. Likely fixed in 2021-06 build. [SELinux][report]
- Recovery doesn't update on system update due to missing install-recovery.sh. [upstream][repro script]
- SD cards might fail to mount or format. [vold + selinux?]
- USB ADB does not work. [FunctionFS corruption]
- Screen artifacting when using video camera [???]
- Not encrypted by default. [OMAP SMC limitation]
- Camera unavailable until reboot occasionally. [ducati cma issues?]
- /system needs to be resized to fit 17.1 or higher. [too small partition]
- Will fail to boot on first boot. Force off once after 3 minutes. Likely fixed in 2022-01 builds. [modem subsystem service startup failure with forceencrypt]
- Images will often fail to install via recovery. [fstab /vendor/firmware_mnt]
- Speaker phone volume cannot be changed from maximum.
- Phone call audio over Bluetooth inconsistently works.
- Camera is non-functional. [upstream blobs?]
- Encryption is not supported. [upstream device tree?]
- GPS is non-functional. [deblobber]
- (reported) APN persistence issues. [???]
- Uses the stock /vendor partition, making many of the deblobber benefits unavailable.
- (reported) Audio playback issues. [???]
- (reported) Microphone issues. [???]
While some hardware might not require proprietary userspace blobs, the hardware itself is non-free and usually runs proprietary firmware.
|Accelerometer/Gyro||Works||Some devices utilize blobs for sensors|
|Audio||Works||Some audio blobs are removed|
|Bluetooth||Works||Some devices utilize blobs for Bluetooth|
|Camera||Works||No camera blobs are removed|
|Cell Service||Works||Many radio blobs are removed, but is kept fully functional|
|Compass||Works||No blobs are required for the compass|
|GPS||Works||Many location blobs are removed, but is kept fully functional|
|GPU||Works||No GPU blobs are removed|
|HW Audio Decoding||Works||No DSP/Hexagon blobs are removed|
|HW Encryption||Works||Some TrustZone/Keystore blobs are removed|
|HW Packet Processor||Works||No blobs are required for Qualcomm's IPA|
|HW Video Decoding||Works||No Venus blobs are removed|
|IR Transceiver||Works||No IR blobs are removed|
|Light Sensor||Works||No blobs are required for the light sensor|
|NFC||Works||Some devices utilize blobs for NFC|
|Proximity Sensor||Works||No blobs are required for the proximity sensor|
|Wi-Fi||Works||Some devices utilize blobs for Wi-Fi|
|Wireless Charging||Depends||All Qualcomm WiPower blobs are removed, newer devices utilizing WiPower will not work|
|AudioFX||Does not work||Many AudioFX blobs are removed|
|Chromecast||Does not work||No Play Services|
|Device Encryption||Works||Some TrustZone/Keystore blobs are removed|
|DRM/HDCP||Does not work||All DRM and HDCP blobs are removed|
|Google SafetyNet||Does not work||No Play Services|
|IMS/VoLTE||Works||Select IMS blobs are removed, but is kept working|
|Qualcomm aptX||Does not work||All aptX blobs are removed|
|RCS||Does not work||All RCS blobs are removed|
|Tethering (BT/USB/Wi-Fi)||Works||No blobs are required for Tethering|
|Wireless Display||Unknown||There are many different protocols. All Qualcomm Wireless Display blobs are removed.|
|Amazon Music||Untested: Potentially Works||Amazon Prime Video relies on Google's Widevine DRM|
|Apple Music||Untested: Potentially Works||Some iTunes content is protected using Apple's FairPlay DRM, the streaming might be as well|
|Google Play Music||Works||Doesn't rely on DRM. Tested July 13th, 2017.|
|Netflix||Broken||Relies on Google's Widevine DRM|
|Pandora||Works||Doesn't rely on DRM|
|Spotify||Broken||Relies on Google's Widevine DRM|
|Soundcloud||Works||Doesn't rely on DRM|
|Square Point of Sale||Works||Doesn't rely on Google SafetyNet|